...It was an alternately rainy and sunny day on Sunday, August 16 at the base of Spencer Mountain outside Whitefish, MT. We chose this place because James was an avid mountain biker and had spent countless hours up on the mountain, building trails and then riding them. These were probably some of the happiest hours of his life. I took his high school senior pictures up there. ...There were sparrows flitting all around and as my mother gave the eulogy a hummingbird flew to the flowers we had placed behind her and hovered there for a while. A few people told me they saw a horse in a nearby pasture stop what he was doing and watch the entire service without moving.
...After the rain stopped, and people started leaving, I walked back to my car and got the rose-stone...

Linden How
August 22, 2009
Spencer Mountain, Montana