...We took a hike up the Rattlesnake wilderness trail in Missoula later that day. Kathy thought she would like to commemorate the day by placing one of the rose stones at the entrance to the hiking trail...

The next stone went to Cour d’Alene, Idaho at the cemetery where my father is buried. We were driving back to Seattle from Missoula, and I usually stop at the cemetery whenever driving through Cour d’Alene. The last coherent thing my father said to me in the hospital was, “It’s hard to collect all your marbles in a place like this, but I’ve managed to gather a few on the fringes.” Whenever I visit his grave, I usually take a marble from a sack that I have and shove a marble as deep as I can in the ground around his grave marker...

The third stone has a permanent place of rest in our back yard in Seattle. There are numerous literary references to Don Quixote as a “father figure,” and I felt this was the perfect place for the rose stone that we should always have, baring unforeseen circumstances...

Hoyt DeMeres, Sharon, and Kathy
August 15, 2009
Rattlesnake Wilderness, Montana
Cour d'Alene, Idaho
Seattle, Washington